Simmer Pot Ingredients
& How To Make A Simmer Pot
Do you love a fresh or simply cozy-smelling home and want to achieve it in an all-natural way? Try making a simmer pot this fall or winter! Simply keep on reading for the best simmer pot ingredients and learn how to make a simmer pot.
“Smell is the primordial sense, more powerful, more primitive, more intimately tied to our memories and emotions than any other. A scent can trigger spiritual, emotional or physical peace and stimulate healing and wellness.” – Donna Karan
What is a simmer pot?
A simmer pot is a liquid with aromatic ingredients. It’s your all-natural, DIY air freshener you can easily make at home with ingredients you already have in your fridge or pantry. Or one could simply say how it is. It’s a pot of water and for instance, fruit scrapes, spices, and herbs that you leave on your stove to simmer for quite a while so it releases a pleasant, cozy smell that will penetrate your kitchen or the entire house.
Why should you make a simmer pot?
- to make your kitchen/ house smell good
- to avoid artificial air fresheners containing chemicals
- to create an unforgettable, cozy fall/winter atmosphere
- to use up fruit scraps
- because it’s easy to make and can make you very happy
You will also love:
Simmer Pot Ingredients
You definitely already have stuff at home that you can use to make a simmer pot. Check out some of the most popular simmer pot ingredients below.
Fresh Citrus Fruit
- apple peels
- orange peels
- lemon peels
- lime peels
- grapefruit peels
- cinnamon sticks
- star anise
- bay leaf
- rose petals
Pine cones or pine needles
“Odors have a power of persuasion stronger than that of words, appearances, emotions, or will. The persuasive power of an odor cannot be fended off, it enters into us like breath into our lungs, it fills us up, imbues us totally. There is no remedy for it.” – Patrick Süskind
How To Make A Simmer Pot
Fill a saucepan with water, bring it to a boil, then add your favorite simmer pot ingredients. Bring the heat down and let your mixture simmer for around two hours. Make sure to check on it every now and then and stir occasionally. If after an hour or so you feel like you want to intensify the smell you can always add more simmer pot ingredients. If needed, also add more water.
Simmer Pot Recipies
Create your own favorite scent combos. Here are some proposals of ingredients that go well together.
- orange peel + cinnamon sticks + bay leaves + cloves
- orange peel or fresh orange slices + apple peel + nutmeg + cinnamon stick
- lime + mint + thyme
- rosemary + lemon + peppercorns + vanilla extract
- orange peels + apple peels + pines
- apple + cinnamon sticks + bay leaves + nutmeg + cloves + vanilla extract
- fresh cranberries + fresh evergreen + cinnamon sticks + ground nutmeg + whole cloves + fresh orange
- lavender + lemon + rosemary
Make your house smell amazing!