Animal Homes Activity For Toddlers
With A Free Printable
Kids love animals and will certainly have a lot of fun with this free printable animal homes activity!
Animal homes have to protect them from predators, the weather, and much more. Some animals live on mountaintops and some deep down in the ocean. Animal homes come in different sizes, and shapes. There are webs, hives, caves, burrows, nests, tree hollows, dens, and more. I’m sure your child will love to learn all about them!
You’ll also love:
Animal Homes Activity For Toddlers
This animal homes activity for toddlers is a great, fun, and simple introduction to that topic.
Big, bright pictures spread throughout several pages to make this activity suitable for the youngest ones!
The printable PDF (see below) consists of 6 pages. 5 pages with two animal homes on each, plus one page with the animals. Animal homes present in this activity: beehive, anthill, cave, nest, underwater, spider web, den, burrow, tree hollow, pond. And there are the following animals: bee, ants, bear, bird, duck, bunny, crab, shark, fish, spider, bat, squirrel.
What you will need for this animal homes activity:
- velcro dots or tape
Don’t have a laminator or velcro dots? No problem. It’s gonna be less durable and a little less fun, but your child will learn just as much. Simply print out the pictures and cut out the animals. Let your child match the animals with their homes.
- Print out the free PDF.
- Laminate all pages. This will make them way more durable and toddler-friendly.
- Cut out all the animals from page 6.
- Match the animals with their homes and place them more or less where you want them to be.
- Stick one part of the velcro dot or tape to the desired spot on the animal home and the other part to the given animal.
The velcro makes the activity extra fun for kids! And obviously, it secures everything in place. In that way, the animals won’t slide around while playing plus you won’t lose them while storing the worksheets.
Please note that font and a few pictures of animal homes in the printable download differ from what you see above. The ones you see above, I’ve made for my son previously. Now I’ve updated them for YOU, to make the pictures better quality and the font nicer! Below, you’ll see what’s exactly in the printable!
How to play
Spread out the 5 laminated pages with the animal homes on the floor and hand your child one animal at a time. Let them find the perfect home for that animal.
Put all the animals in a dish and place them, as well as one of the five laminated pages in front of your child. Let them find the animals whose homes they have in front of them, before moving on to the next sheet with two other animal homes.
Fun facts you can teach your child about animals and their homes during this activity:
- Bees use wax that they make inside of their body to construct their homes called hives. There they like to live together in big groups, called a colony.
- Ants don’t have ears or lungs.
The ants’ nest which is underground is protected by the anthill. It also absorbs the heat from the sun which warms up the nest.
- Bats are active at night and they sleep during the day. Baby bats are called pups.
- Bears sleep in dens during the cold months. Baby bears are born and nursed in the den during the winter season.
- Birds usually build their nests on tree branches. They build them to lay eggs in them. Birds may use twigs, leaves, straw, feathers, and moss to build their homes.
- A tree hollow is a hole in a tree trunk. Other animals who may live in tree hollows are owls and raccoons.
- Ducks love to swim, even in a puddle!
- Burrows are underground homes. Some animals build simple burrows with one whole, while others contract complex ones with many rooms and exits.
- Seas and oceans are homes of many animals. Sharks, crabs, and fish, but also sea turtles, sea horses, and octopuses.
Shares don’t have bones.
Crabs can walk in all directions but usually walk sideways.
Ocean water is salty.
- Spiders spin webs. They eat insects that get trapped in their webs.
Download Your Free Animal Homes Activity BELOW
Who lives where?
Tree Hollow- Squirrel
Underwater – Shark, Fish, Crab
Spider Web – Spider